Sunday, September 13, 2015

How to Make Soy Wax Candle Tarts -- DIY!

I have been making candles for well over a decade. I find it enjoyable! It's also a great way to make extra money!

What you will need:


  • high quality fragrance oil (make sure it is safe for candle making)
  • pillar blend soy wax (slab or wax flakes)
  • your choice of container for the tars (I used clamshells for this tutorial)
  • heavy duty aluminum pouring pot 
  • wooden stir spoon (my preference)
  • pot holder (the pot gets very hot)
  • dial style wax melting thermometer (candy thermometer is same)

You need to melt 1 lb of wax over your stove. I have this down to a science. I know that the first bottom line on my melting pot is approximately 1 lb. (melted). Hobby stores sell wax in small 1 lb bags if you want to play it safe and not have to guess.

Watch your temperature carefully. Wax has a flash point, which is temperature at which it could catch fire. Your wax should have a warning label with this information. The wax I use has a pouring temperature of approximately 135-150 degrees. No need to get any hotter. 



Once wax is melted, slowly pour in your fragrance oil. Rule of thumb is 1-1 1/2 ounces of fragrance oil per pound of wax. 


Stir well for a minute or so. Turn burner off.

(Have your tart containers ready prior to pouring.)

Very slowly, using a pot holder and a paper towel (to catch drips in between containers), began pouring your wax/fragrance mixture. Fill to just below the top. Do not over fill. 

Keep in mind some waxes shrink once set and require a second pour. I am picky about my wax and ensure I order a low or no shrink wax. 

Let tarts cool. This process will take an hour or more.



Once cooled, label and seal for future use. 

*Note: These are great Christmas gifts!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kool-Aid Dyed Easter Eggs

Who doesn't love Kool-Aid? My daughter and I have done this project before a few years ago. Tonight, the night before Easter, sh...